the ray of light from Max's lamp impinged upon the opening
"Never! Nonsense, Ruthie; it is only six miles off; you may see it any day. It is not an hour's ride."
"Perhaps I may see it again when I am grown old; I did not think exactly what 'never' meant; it is so very long since I was there, and I don't see any chance of my going for years and years at any rate."
"Why, Ruth, you--we may go next Sunday afternoon, if you like."
She looked up at him with a lovely light of pleasure in her face at the idea. "How, sir? Can I walk it between afternoon-service and the time Mrs. Mason comes home? I would go for only one glimpse; but if I could get into the house--oh, sir! if I could just see mamma's room again!"
He was revolving plans in his head for giving her this pleasure, and he had also his own in view. If they went in any of his carriages, the loitering charm of the walk would be lost; and they must, to a certain degree, be encumbered by, and exposed to the notice of servants.
"Are you a good walker, Ruth? Do you think you can manage six miles? If we set off at two o'clock, we shall be there by four, without hurrying; or say half-past four. Then we might stay two hours, and you could show me all the old walks and old places you love, and we could still come leisurely home. Oh, it's all arranged directly!"
"But do you think it would be right, sir? It seems as if it would be such a great pleasure, that it must be in some way wrong."
"Why, you little goose, what can be wrong in it?"
- composed. When we reached Lemuy we had much difficulty
- size of our state and its college population, there were
- patriots. When Senator Joe McCarthy of Wisconsin was terrorizing
- I, and I had the feeling that going to these kinds of meetings
- gate, but the apparatus was out of his reach, and he had
- the books, but each week a student would lead off the discussion
- When there is no understanding, respect, or trust, any
- but in personal moral opposition to military service. Therefore,
- one of our party was unable anywhere to purchase either
- but conventional platform. Modglin tapped into the growing
- He and Betty seemed headed for a long and happy life in
- local history, culture, and politics, we could do more
- his fingers, right and left, and presently found slimy
- As nearly as I could tell, everyone who worked on the committee
- lost the singular focus on campus life that had provided
- to staying in Washington for the summer, working for the
- the moving ray. Inhaling sibilantly, Max leaped after her.
- When Fulbright went to Oxford in 1925, the Treaty of Versailles
- felt, increasingly, that the political and military leaders
- turned in their draft cards, which were presented to the
- numbers. I never saw anything more obliging and humble
- On civil rights, Fulbright never spent much time defending
- from Georgia, but he was sympathetic to civil rights and
- gorilla. Fulbright took him on before his other colleagues
- At certain seasons they catch also, in “corrales,”
- enough about chickens. It never happened again. When I
- baby had his handkerchief. I wish she could have understood
- Department. Fulbright also met privately with Secretary
- mist seemed to float above the water. This mist had a familiar
- Id be crazy to quit school, that I should keep doing my
- the winning of converts to American values and interests
- the side of him I saw to more people and to reflect it
- The wide heavens about her seemed to promise a greater
- I always thought the dramatically different ways Fulbright
- making enemies, a hazardous trait in politics. Besides
- an engaging conversationalist with an unusual, elegant
- fowls, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, and cattle; the order
- where I had attended Boys Nation just four years earlier.
- an Arkansan. Bruce became my close friend, advisor, and
- birthday, I spent about four hours doing that, and the
- the light upon them. They led upward. He mounted cautiously,
- of State Dean Rusk, usually for early-morning coffee in
- of the Johnson administration consistently overstated the
- of the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman empires. The humiliation
- forest, and utters very peculiar noises) has not cried
- scholarship interviewId been interested since high school.
- the child of a World War II veteran. I respected the military,
- In 1942, with nothing better to do, Fulbright filed for
- innocent purpose: each parish has a public musket, and
- The chairman of the committee was Dean McGee of Oklahoma,